Gold Star Mothers is an organization of mothers who have lost a son or daughter in the service of our country. Gold Star Mother’s Day is observed every year, to honor these mothers. The Congress, by Senate Joint Resolution 115 of June 23, 1936 (49 Stat. 1985 as amended), has designated the last Sunday in September as “Gold Star Mother’s Day.”
Events will take place in the Washington, D.C. area, including services at Arlington National Cemetery and a dinner in Northern Virginia.
Gold Star Mother’s Weekend Events
Saturday, September 28, 2013.
- 1:30 PM – Meeting at National Headquarters for National Executive Board, Past National Presidents and Department Presidents.
- 7:00 PM – Banquet at the Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, 7920 Jones Branch Dr., McLean, VA.
Sunday, September 29, 2013, Everyone is invited for all events.
- 8:00 AM – Vietnam Wall Wreath Laying with visit to Arlington National Cemetery, Section 60, immediately following.
- 1:00 PM – Depart for Arlington National Cemetery.
- 2:00 PM – Ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery (Memorial Chapel in case of rain).
- 3:00 PM – Wreath Laying at Tomb of the Unknowns.
- 4:00 PM – Open House at National Headquarters.
For registration information, directions and more information about events surrounding Gold Star Mother’s Day 2013 and the organization, you can visit their website at www.goldstarmoms.com.